Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trail Ridge Road

Just a few more pictures from the mountains. This is our trip up Trail Ridge Road on our way out of RMNP. Amazing ride, albeit a tired one. A long hike the night before and then a cold night in a tent was a enough to wear out one or two of us that were in the van. We all still had a blast, just a little tired and some of us were just not as peppy as usual.

A nice view of Long's on our way to the trail.

The first point where you could really get a feel for the elevation. This was a much needed pull-off. I have a new appreciation for my dad and how calmly he drove up this road. I caught myself looking over the edge a few times before I thought better of that move. A hunk of curb is not much of a guard rail. Curious how many people make that same mistake and end up down the mountain. At least that was what I was thinking of when I looked over the edge. And...that is why I stopped looking over the edge while I was driving. :)

Almost at the top. The sky was unbelievably clear and crisp. Very refreshing.

Hugging Dad...or keeping warm, not sure which.

Mom, deserves a hug or two as well. There were so many Marmots at this stop i thought they might hop up and give us a hug as well. But they didn't. Must not be into PDA.


Saw a few really impressive Elk at the top.

A few pictures of the alpine tundra for your viewing pleasure.


Yes there was still snow. Quite a bit of it. And snow is still cold...even in July.


Erin told me what these mountains were named but I forget. Something like Neptune, Alpha, Scooby, and Papa Smurf I think. Or maybe that was the show Avery was watching in the hotel before she fell asleep tonight. Either way.

What an amazing experience. I am thrilled that my family got to experience it. Erin said that she was equally amazed and even got a bit emotional a time or too looking at the view. It's hard not to. The stars at the campsite Wednesday night, then the mountains here, puts everything back into perspective quickly. My inner mountain man has been appeased...for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!!!! What a vacation! Thanks for taking us along! LOVE YOU GUYS! :o)
Janine